An often heard complaint is that the OFBiz documentation is pretty limited and often outdated. We also hear that Apache OFBiz is not promoted enough. This site is an attempt to improve on these complaints
In another attempt to re-organize and improve the OFBiz documentation and promotion we have created this new initiative.
First we wondered why the documentation and promotion is in the current state?
- Writing documents is hated by technical people the most and because most of our contributors are technical....
- Technical people are in general not good writers of end user documents.
- If documentation cannot be owned, nobody is responsible for it.
- The quality of many documents is questionable or outdated.
- Writing documents and adding it to the OFBiz wiki isn't very rewarding.
- Some say: no one is reading the documents anyway and better ask a question in a forum or mailing list?
- Documents and blog are already spread over many sites and no specific search is available on these sites.
- Commercial activities are not allowed on the official OFBiz website, limiting promotion severely.
That is why we created an OFBiz document and promotion site: http://ofbiz.info.
First of all this site does not provide documentation itself, it just links to good moderated OFBiz information from any source and reward the document owner by the visitors going to his site. Anybody, when registered, can add links in the available categories and yes sure, the site is implemented using OFBiz.
Does it solve the above points?
Point 1,2 is not solved with this site, however the other points are certainly improved:
- We now have a central index pointing to documents on any site.
- Because documents are shown on the original site, it is shown who owns it and is rewarded by high focussed visitors.
- A category tree, search and keyword cloud is provided to easily find documents.
- A twitter and google +1 buttons are provided for promotion.
- Possibility to advertise to highly motivated visitors.
So please have a look to the site, register and add links to your website and receive more visitors: http://ofbiz.info.
Our plans for the future? World map of providers, end-users. You have a suggestion? Let us know at email@example.com !
Posted on: 2011-06-15 14:08:25.051 By hansbak